Monday, March 9, 2009

Race for Wishes

This past Saturday morning, we went to the Make-A-Wish Race For Wishes! (That's a mouthful!) We went in honor of Travis and were a part of the award winning TEAM TRAVIS!

Here's the starting line for the big 1 mile walk and later the 5K run. (and just FYI, 5 K means 5 Kilometers, NOT 5,000 miles. Thank you Michael Scott).
There was a GREAT turnout! It was a huge race! everyone had smiles on their faces! Everyone there is connected to a wish kid somehow... and that's one thing that really bonds us all together!

Here is Travis with the boys from his class (Travis is in blue- all the wish kids wore blue shirts).
This is Julia, Travis's mom, with one of our favorite kindergartners!! Jay-Jay!! They are both Texas Tech fans- hence her "gun" pose, no she is not trying to shoot the photographer.


Travis and his older brother Trey. Trey was in my very first 3rd grade class ever! Oh he is so fun!


Ty and I! Please dont' look at my hair. Yes I went out in public looking like that. I had a soccer game Friday night at 9 pm and got in late and showered and went to bed with wet hair because it was basically midnight and this is what it looked like when I got up. But I was going out to "run" so I couldn't take another shower and really fix my hair. don't judge me.

The proud parents- Robert and Julia

Ty and his parents!! Great Team Travis Supporters!
Here I am at the end of the 5K- see I did run! And yes, my hair looks worse now! after my soccer game Friday night, my legs were pretty sore. I had the intentions of trying to win the 5K for my age group, I quickly gave up those goals and just tried to finish.

This may be my favorite picture from the morning. Trey and Travis ran the 5K with their dad, but after I finished, we see Trey running up to the finish line, alone, and without his shirt. Julia yells out, "Trey, where's your shirt?" His response was a shrug and "don't know." And he just kept running. love him.
There's Travis coming up to the finish!! he's the little one on the left in the light blue shirt. Would you guess from this picture that he currently has a broken back? no, I wouldn't either.

Robert coming to the finish line behind his boys (and carrying Trey's shirt in his left hand :) ) Robert is quite the accomplished marathoner and tri-athlete, but he just ran this one with his boys- sweet memories. Also a favorite picture- this one of Travis says "I just ran so hard, leave me alone." I love when kids act so so soooo exhuasted. But then of course are bouncing around moments later.
Here's travis in with all the other wish kids from the race. Pray for them. I am certain they all need it.
Trey- the proud brother- and clothed again.

Team Travis won the award for largest team, EVER! We had 89 members! WOW!

Julia and Travis with their award!
The end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it..... so sweet

Unknown said...

That is awesome! What a special and fun day.