Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pure Joy

Last Saturday our yard looked like this...



Every 30 minutes or so, we had to tell someone "NO GARAGE SALE!" It got to the point where I would notice someone slowing down to park and then I'd begin adamantly shaking my head NO until they drove away.

We were NOT having a garage sale.

But that was all of the contents of our garage spread across the lawn.

The rest of our garage contents are here...

In our beautiful sunroom. It's not so beautiful right now, I know.

But here's why it was all out of the garage....
see how yucky our garage walls are (or should I say were)... 2x4s, black peeling paper (probably wall paper at one point), and lots of cobwebs.
Did I mention our dryer is in the garage?? it is. I hate it. It will be leaving soon. We are building a laundry room. God is good.
More of the yuckiness. I mean seriously- how gross is this? Not to mention there were lots and lots of rat skeletons in the garage and garage attic.
Oh, and there used to be a pole in the center of the garage to support the attic. So, with the dryer, pole, and all of our stuff... there was no where for a car.

So, we got busy. Actually my father-in-law got busy and we helped. We removed the pole and the rat skeletons. We put up a load bearing beam. We insulated, we drywalled. I swept. I wrapped our furniture in plastic wrap. (we plan on using this furniture when we add another bedroom, one day.) I swept again. We still need to paint. I swept again. We still need to move the "stuff" to the attic. I swept again.
And now 3/4 of the garage looks like this... BEAUTIFUL!! (who knew I'd be calling a garage beautiful). The other wall is not finished yet because of the upcoming laundry room addition- we'll need to be putting wires through that wall, etc, etc. So we're waiting until that's finished.

But finally, the pure joy came.... Last night it was POURING down rain when I came home at 6 pm. But I just hit the garage door opener and pulled my car right in. FOR THE FIRST TIME!! And this morning when I left for school it was raining, but no worries, because my car was in the garage!! Pure Joy. and a perfect fit.

1 comment:

christine said...

Seriously, Kelley--I think we would be like best friends if I lived around you. Did you know my absolute dream car is a VW Bug?!!! So cute!! That car totally fits your fun personality. Way to go on the garage makeover!! And so fun that your adding on! Keep up the great work!!