Thursday, February 26, 2009

Remedy for a Bad Day

So yesterday was not great. The kids in a certain 3rd grade were just out of control. Seriously, did they miss the memo about "raise your hand and WAIT for the teacher to call on you"???? I mean- they are in 3rd grade now, I think they should know that.

But no. They don't. They talk whenever a thought enters their minds. They raise their hands and then at the same time begin saying, "Mrs. Sawyer, I need.... blah blah blah."
They interrupt me countless times until I can no longer take it. and yesterday was a day that I could no longer take it.

I'm normally pretty patient. I pray for patience and joy daily. But somehow, yesterday, I just lost it. I yelled. I hate yelling. And I yelled. It was not my favorite moment of the day.

And then 3rd grade left, and I had 30 seconds to get ready for 1st grade. So I went to my desk and began praying for help to let it all go, that I would not take out my frustrations on the 1st grade who had done nothing wrong yet.

That's when it happened. As they walked into class, with me standing by my desk praying, a little boy handed me this.
Now you have to know, this is not a little boy that normally shows affection. He is usually well behaved, but he never gives me hugs like some of the other kids do. And actually lately, he has gotten in trouble a bit for talking. So I thought it might be a note from his mom, or an apology letter (that some kids get forced to write- super sweet I think).
So I said, "What's this?"
"A gift." he answered.
Oh,
okay.
And
as

I
unfolded
it.
I realized it was a gift from my Lord. An answer for my prayers. a reminder of the power of Christ living in me, and therefore my total ability to be joyful, loving, and patient with this next group of kids.
It was a good class after all.
Then 4th grade came in. They are not the best behaved. They also have the interrupting problem. So I warned them that it had been a rough day and I would have zero tolerance for interrupting and talking out.
That's when my favorite (you know, one of the kids from my class last year), Gabby-cakes, yells out "oh no!" Then she stands up quickly.
Can't tell what happened? Try this picture out...

It was just her water bottle that had spilled all over her pants. But it made me think "peeing in your pants is cool." and I laughed, and class began. And they basically did not talk out.

Oh- and Gabby's pants did not ever fully dry. And that was funny too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh...Kelly! Your teaching stories, good and bad, always give me that little pang in my stomach to go back and finish the graduate program I started last year to teach elementary school. I substitute taught for a few months and it's been my favorite job so far (other than kanakuk. seriously.) p.s. I totally would have followed your detailed lesson plans...a sub's dream!. Ahhh...the quarter life-crisis...I'm praying the Lord will lead me to where He wants me to be!