Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Joys of a Day Off

Last week I was not feeling up to par, so I decided to be wise and use a sick day and get better!

Early Thursday morning I made the decision to not come to school on Friday, which gave me plenty of time to prepare for a sub. I spent every second I had off to put together well written sub plans, check out 3 DVD's from the library, and watch all the DVD's to make sure they were appropriate and interesting. I mean I worked hard. I teach Spanish and usually my subs are not Spanish speakers at all, so I have to plan something they can do that I would not normally do. And because I'm overly organized, I type up detailed plans, answering all questions I foresee them having, give them names of "helper" kids in each class and a "watch" list for each class as well.

Friday is my busiest day at school, so I had 5 TYPED pages for the sub.

I laid everything out on my desk (and cleaned off everything she would not use). I added post-it notes to each item, making sure she knew the Magic School bus video was for 3rd grade, the Veggie Tales video was for 1st grade, and what stack of papers the 4th grade re-take tests were.

I placed the lesson plans on top of a follow up page labeled "Sub Info, How did it go??" With a place for her to make notes back to me about behavior, things to know for next time, etc.

2nd and 4th grade were to do centers that day, which is independent Spanish literacy work. Super easy for a sub to oversee- the kids really do know how to do it all, although sometimes they need help looking something up in the dictionary and often they need to be reminded to stay on task and not talk to friends too much. But no problem, it requires no Spanish knowledge at all.

1st and 3rd grade were supposed to learn new Spanish things, which is why they both were to watch videos. Not even Spanish related videos, just videos to keep them occupied and behaving.

As I mentioned before I checked out 3 DVD's, but only planned on showing 2. You just never know. For example, one of the DVD's was the Jim Elliot Story- animated. Which sounded great in the library! A child's animated version of the missionary who lived (and died) in Ecuador- a Spanish speaking country! Right on target for Spanish class!

But after watching the DVD during my off time, I realized that even though it was animated, the Indians were brutal, the spear killings were intense, and the bloody water was a little too much to show to 3rd graders. And it was definitely inappropriate to have a sub just flip on.

I did think it would make a great lesson for 4th grade after we had spent a day discussing and preparing for the video, so that the deaths wouldn't be surprising or gory, but more expected and understood.

So I put the DVD in one of my desk drawers and planned to use it the next week in class with 4th grade. And I left out the other two with post-its labeling who was to watch what.

I went home, I slept on my couch for 36 hours (maybe longer). I felt better and confident that my 2 DVD's and 5 pages of plans were great. And I never thought about it again.

Until I reached school on Monday. And the first kid I saw (in 2nd grade) says to me "that movie was scary." "Movie?" I ask, thinking that 2nd grade was not supposed to watch a movie. "yeah, all that blood." huh.

As the day progressed, I discover that not only had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade seen the movie, but also 1st grade! a movie that I had deemed inappropriate, and HIDDEN in my desk!!

So Monday's lesson plans were out the window as I spent the day explaining, discussing, answering questions, and helping the kids to understand the fear of the Auca Indians, the reasons behind the killings, and God's redemption of the whole thing when all of the Aucas accepted Jesus and confessed their sins and the forgiveness from the Elliot family and all the others.

Yes, Monday was a fun day of making sure that no parents were going to be emailing angry about the violence their kid saw AT SCHOOL! A "safe" place.

In the end, I think the kids understand what happened. and it really is a great story. But, oh, the pains of having a sub with her own mind (and prying eyes- digging in my desk drawer). And well written lesson plans... good for nothing.

And all of this is exactly why I had all those sick days built up, it's just easier to come than to deal with the after mass.

2 comments:

Joann said...

Sounds about right to me, when you work so hard to organize everything, something always goes wrong...lol! This made me laugh, I can just see your mind racing trying to figure out how to avoid a catastrophe. Keep up the good work and tell Ty & the rest of the Sawyers hi for me.

SplendidlyImperfect said...

I used to sub, and I never understood the ones who did crap like that. Seriously, is it that hard to follow directions? The teachers that I used to cover didn't even do half as much as you did - usually I'd get their lesson plan book, the books/curriculum I'd be using, and a short note. Then I would actually teach the lesson in the curriculum!

To dig through your desk and blatantly ignore what you left out for her and your instructions - completely inexcusable. I hope there is someone you can complain to about it.