Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Great Day

I have this sweet boy in my 3rd grade class. Very sweet, very obedient. Not too good at Spanish. Fails most tests. Tries pretty hard, but it just doesn't always connect for him.

In my class, each Wednesday the kids do Spanish Literacy Centers. I put out 9 centers and they have a month to do as many as they can. Then I grade them. For February centers, this sweet little boy made a 100%! His first 100 in my class. As I graded the papers, I was genuinely excited about his score and couldn't wait to pass it back and see the look on his face. I was not disappointed!

I set the paper down in front of him, and he immediately said, "Today is a great day."

I pried deeper and asked, "Why is today a great day?" Fully expected the answer to be "my first 100" or "my first A" or something along those lines.

The answer was this, "I don't have to have my sister tomorrow."

"What? You don't have to have your sister? You mean she'll be gone tomorrow?"

"Yep! All day! She'll be with my grandma."

"And so that makes today good for you?"

"Yep."

huh. Well at least he's got his priorities straight. Hope he's enjoying today with no sister. And I'm sure he's already forgotten about that A.

No comments: