Monday, December 8, 2008

Chicken Pockets... Finally

Finally- the long promised chicken pocket recipe.

The ingredients...
cream cheese (I use fat free regular- could use flavored, chive would be good:)
milk
margarine
sesame seeds
crescent rolls (reduced fat for me)
onion (or celery)
and chicken!

Here's the recipe handwritten by my sweet friend Katie. She says it's only 4 servings and 1 can of crescent rolls- I must make mine wrong- I always use 2 cans and get 6-8 pockets- oh well.

First- boil the chicken. Much yummier if you cook it with chicken broth instead of plain water- always salt and pepper too! Since you will be cutting the chicken into small pieces, I always cut it some before cooking it to make it go faster. Bring it up to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until the juices run clear, or the middle is not pink. :)
Drain the chicken. Here's a favorite new pampered chef tool!! It fits on any hot pan- and you can drain off liquids or fat! It is wonderful! and of course it is dishwasher safe - love it!!
Chop the chicken- should be 2 cups. I guess I usually use more. I always mix it in my very favorite pampered chef product- my batter bowl!! You can measure the chicken amount right on the side of the bowl, then use the handle as you stir. lovely!! also dishwasher safe, microwave safe, and oven safe- perfect!

In a separate bowl, blend the cream cheese and margarine. I cheat and just use a spoon- but I moosh it very well :) (is moosh a word?)

Add the milk, pepper, salt, onion and chicken- stir well.
On an ungreased baking sheet, lay out your crescent rolls. You must flatten it or spread it out. The top one in this picture is normal, the bottom one flattened, see the difference??


Place some chicken mixture on top.
Flatten the other crescent roll and place on top. Then smoosh the sides together to seal them.

I always kinda roll up the sides to keep the milky stuff from leaking out when baking.

Your hands will get messy as you touch the chicken stuff- YOU MUST WIPE THEM OFF!! before trying to seal the edges- or else the edges will never fully seal. I learned this the hard way. Just keep a paper towel next to you and wipe them in between each one.
Next, I spray on some olive oil and sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds.

20-25 minutes later, you have a lovely crispy delicious chicken pocket.
Here's the delicious inside :) Enjoy!


Chicken Pockets
3 oz cream cheese (6 tablesppons)
2 Tbl. margarine
2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
1/3 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbl. milk
1/4 cup onion or celery - chopped or grated
1 can crescent rolls (I use two cans)

Preheat oven to 350.
Blend the cream cheese and margarine.
Add the milk, blend well.
Add the chicken, salt, pepper, and onion/celery.
Lay out the crescent rolls, flatten them. Add some of the chicken mixture. Place another crescent roll on top. Seal edges.
Brush melted butter over the top (or spray with olive oil), sprinkle on sesame seeds.
Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

plainlyjane said...

I would recognize that handwritten recipe anywhere! This is my favorite recipe of Katie's and I'm constantly sneeking upstairs to find it in her recipe box. :) You've inspired me to make this for dinner this week - I wish you could come over and eat it with me!

Whitney said...

Those look terrific! I will definitely be making these soon! Thank you for the recipe!