Monday, December 8, 2008

2nd Annual Friends Thanksgiving

In college, we began this fun tradition of having a full blown Thanksgiving feast the Sunday before Thanksgiving, before everyone left town. It was a blast each year, and we learned early how to cook a turkey and other Thanksgiving items.



My husband was happy to continue the tradition with me- but we moved the annual feast to the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It is a standing party- so if you're in Dallas next year the Saturday before Thanksgiving, be prepared to come to our home for a yummy meal! Oh and bring a dish too- it's a potluck meal!



So, even though it's already the Christmas season, here are some pictures of our fall decorations and our Thanksgiving spread...



The Table... (with the beautiful new chandelier)



A few close ups of "the centerpiece." I put centerpiece in quotes, because it's not really elaborate or anything, but I like to keep it simple and low so that it compliments the meal, but does not take over the table.

I absolutely love this new mercury glass candle holder! (TJ Maxx!) Oh and we use our good china too- even though we have to hand wash it- it's totally worth it!


I went to Sam's that morning and bought $30 worth of flowers, here are some of the 7 arrangments I made from the flowers...


This one was my favorite- a small little one I put in the bathroom. I left it in there for almost 2 weeks- I felt like I was in a fancy hotel having fresh flowers in my bathroom- what a nice little treat! (and if you're noticing the ugly pink tile in the background - it's true, I have ugly pink tile on my bathroom walls- will take you on a house tour one day)

By the front door...

This one was in a small rectangle vase, and it keeps posting sideways- don't know why.
Okay- then I got crafty- pulled out my scrapbook things- since I can never get myself motivated to actually scrapbook, it was fun to make these little name cards for the different dishes. You never know just from looking exactly what type of casserole you're eating :)


Close up


This was my list of things to do that day- yes I had it mapped out down to the minute- trying to get all the food ready by 5:00 so that the oven would be free when the guests arrived in case they needed a last minute re-heating.



Look at the cute turkey pillow my mom gave me! I want a Christmas pillow now too!! maybe a Santa Claus?? Actually- Crate and Barrel has adorable Christmas pillows right now... maybe :)





Appetizers!! This is a delious corn and black bean salsa- not very thanskgiving-y, but the one thing my husband requested. It is sooo yummy!! You simpley toast some corn, add a can of black beans, sliced cherry tomatoes, avocado, and green onions. The trick is the Williams-Sonoma sauce that flavors it- incredible!! I've used the whole bottle!! and I think it's a seasonal item that we bought in the summer and will now have to wait until next summer to reload- next year I'm buying 2-3 bottles!!


I know- I'm boring and cheesy- but I really liked my little display of lemons and limes for the drinks :) What can I say- I'm a nerd who tries hard :)


The sweet tea- as you can tell from the sign. (yes the boys made fun of my signs, but I think down deep they actually really appreciated them!)


The whole spread laid out! Yumminess!

Some close ups...

Andrew and Susan made the best green bean casserole.
Parris made my favorite corn casserole!

Then there was broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, rolls, cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing and gravy!! Oh and desserts!! Well- I forgot to take a picture- but Rebecca made the most delicious chocolate pie!! Hubby's absolute favorite dessert!
Oh- here's the stuffing, gravy, and turkey. By the way- I don't remember who carved the turkey all those years during our college Thanksgivings - but it wasn't me. I'm guessing Theresa- was it you?? because I definitely do not really know how to do it. I've read about it. I've watched videos on it- but I am not good at it. As you can tell by the annihilated turkey pieces. oh well. at least my lemons and limes looked good.


And somehow I didn't get any pictures with people in them- I'm an idiot. Food is more important than people?? never!!


for next year... my goal is to learn to make Ty's Grandma's Chicken and Dressing. I'll let you know how it goes :)

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Remind me to go to Dallas next year the weekend before Thanksgiving! :)

That food looks incredible! I am very impressed.

And to answer your question about the table. We are SO BAD to not eat at the table. We used to in our apartment, but now in our house, we usually just eat on the couch! We always say when we have a family, eating on the couch is NOT allowed. Hahaha. But when we do eat at the table, we just scoot the stuff out of the way! :)