Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I have the great priviledge of teaching Kindergarten - 4th graders, and believe me, I hear some funny things.

I have this one particularly hard class- full of talkers, socializers, class clowns, and hyper children, oh and a few well-behaved ones too. Now, we start every Spanish class with calendar time and I call on different kids to tell me the date, day of the week, season, and the weather. I don't know why, but everyone wants to tell the weather- it is the favorite!! (which I think is dumb because the weather in Dallas doesn't change much- it is soleado basically every day- sunny).

anywho... just as I asked "¿Como esta el tiempo?" one little boy decided to tell me it's funny when I smile because my mean voice and my smile are so different. I didn't really know what that meant, but I asked the class "Am I your meanest teacher?" A few said "Yes" (I expected that). But one little talker said "No, Mrs. Sawyer, you are my NICEST teacher!"

Of course he immediately won the award of getting to tell me the weather. I said "Oh thank you! Since you were so nice, please tell me today's weather!" And at that comment a little girl in the back raises her hand and yells out "why can't I do the weather? You are my 5th nicest teacher!"

5th nicest teacher.... how many teachers does she have? homeroom, me, music, computer, art, pe... that's it- she has 6 teachers- and I am 5th nicest! wow- what a compliment.

Kids say the darndest things.

No comments: