Monday, October 13, 2008

Heart Attack on a Stick please :)

Well, yesterday we went to the Texas State Fair!


Last year, we way over ate... so Ty and I made a pact... I was only going to eat a soft pretzel with cheese (my favorite) and try one new fried food, the fried smores! That sounds awesome!

Ty was only going to eat 2 corn dogs from Fletchers, his favorite! We were going to hold each other accountable to this... no if, ands, or buts! (by the way, I did not take my camera, so all of these pictures are just from the internet - not ours, sorry!)


We started off well. Starving since it was after church and definitely lunch time. So we hit the corn dogs and the pretzels right away! Ty only had one to start with.

We went with some friends, Ben and Parris. As we were walking, we noticed Jack's French Fries. Now, fries are not something we were planning on eating, nor are they worth the 5 million dollars they cost at the fair. But Parris knows Jack, he was her step-father's friend. So she decides to say hi. Turns out, Jack is very generous and he owns half of the food booths. Next thing you know, we are walking to a table with...

2 sets of fries
2 taco salads
2 chalupas (I think that's what it's called)
2 bottles of water
2 funnel cakes
1 order of fried apple slices with ice cream


these are supposed to be the apple slices- they did have raspberry sauce and ice cream too. But like I said, I didn't take a camera- this picture is from the internet.

So... needless to say- we blew our pact. Free fair food... free hand made fries... fresh taco salad with homemade salsa... delicious hot funnel cakes... and one heart attack please!

Jack also took us behind the scenes and taught us how to make his french fries- it was incredible! They go through sooooo many potatoes a day- ridiculous! And we got to work the machine- it is hard! I have a new respect for fair food workers :)

We continued to walk for a LONG time, trying to work off the hundreds of calories we just ate. But I was on a mission. I was determined to try the new fried smores. So, I decided to be hungry no matter what and eat it when we found it.

By the way... the Texas State Fair has a competition for new fried foods every year. It is ridiculous the stuff they come up with. Here's a link to the list of this year's winners- be prepared to be blown away by these! If eating the first one listed wont' kill you, then you have superior genes! http://www.bigtex.com/foodlocator/

Finally, we found the smores. Here's a picture from the internet, but that is basically what it looked like. They were good. Fortunately everyone with me ate some too- but it was worth it! Kinda tasted like chocolate chip pancakes- plus a lot more fat. Maybe next weekend I'll just eat some chocolate chip pancakes :)


Then it was time to hit the road. We said good bye to Big Tex and headed to the car... had to get home for the Cowboy's game.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

HA! Your fair experience sounds a lot like ours! I just found your blog and I love it...so glad to find a fellow blogger! :)