Friday, December 9, 2011

The Rest of the Christmas Decorations

Two Posts in a row!  And I'm going to attempt to "schedule" this one to post on Friday December 9th, we'll see how that goes :)

I realize I definitely need a real camera... and I need to take my pictures during the day for better lighting. But I'm taking baby steps as I get back into this!

After our big addition last summer, I realized I have more room to decorate for Christmas. This is great because now I can actually use ALL of our decorations!!  But, it also means adjusting the old stuff and coming up with new ways and places to display things. So I'm not sold on everything I attempted this year... but I do like some of it.

My Christmas tree collection is displayed on the "library" bookshelves this year.  This I like! Last year I used it all as a centerpiece which was cute too.  But I love seeing them all spread out on this book case.

The nativity collection still lines the windows in the sun room.  This works for now.  Not my favorite.  But I think the real issue is I don't actually love all of the nativities. 
 I just bought this cute glitter nativity for $2.50 in the Target dollar bins. LOVE it!!  It may be a table centerpiece next year!!

The Mantle
This has been a real headache this year. I have redone it, twice.  Still not loving it, but refusing to do it a 4th time.   Part of my dislike is the unrelated painting hanging there.  Have not discussed with hubby the option of moving it... may happen in the future.

What I like... I do love the 3 red stars on stands and I love the red glittery leaves on the ends.  I also love our stockings.
 I think I still like these reindeer.  Not sure.  Apparently I'm really drawn to the REDS this year.
 I added these random gold angels.  I think they are pretty.  They seem to belong on a mantle.  But I have stars, reindeer, and angels on the mantle. How in the world does that all fit together?  And how do you feel about that "JOY" candle? I like the stars on it, but does it look random and cheap?  Oh man... am I over thinking this?
 Moving away from the mantle!!

On top of the book case we have the colorful ornaments in vases and a santa hat covering a vase. I bought those ornaments about 10 years ago from Target. I LOVE them and wish I had LOTS more!!  I'm always on the look out!  I bought that cute chalkboard earlier this year and have been using it for each holiday. LOVE it up on the bookcase!
 On top of the other bookcase I have my JOY letters.  I needed to elevate them in order to see the entire letter, so I stacked some boxes and books and covered them in burlap as a base.  Another use of burlap... oh the possibilities are endless!
 This is the little table when you walk into our home.  My husband's grandma painted the poinsettias, love it!!  And I love having some garland and beads on the table too!
 This sled is new this year!  I received it as a teacher Christmas gift last year full of Ghirardelli chocolate.  This year it hold all of our Christmas cards!
 The bookcases in the new hallway... let me say- these bookcases are more of a headache than the mantle!  Styling bookcases is HARD! and I feel like mine always look chaotic and messy!!  I have some ideas about how to fix it (baskets on the bottom shelf, a more precise color palette), but I will get to that later.  What i DO like is the fun boxes on the top!  I love my random collection of Christmas boxes and now they are on display!
All that's missing is our tree! I think that's on the schedule for this weekend!

1 comment:

Household Executive said...

Ok, its been too long since I have been over...the book cases are styled. Good start. yes, I like the idea of baskets!