Tuesday, December 27, 2011

An Attempt at Home Made Chex Mix

One of my favorite things about being a kindergarten teacher is the amount of homemade goodness I receive.  I have one sweet little girl who brought me a homemade goodie every week (until they moved into a new house and in the midst of the chaos her mom just hasn't had time to bake. I forgive them. But I expect them to be fully settled in and baking by the time we return to school in January.)

I absolutely LOVE chex mix- especially the home made kind.  A ziploc baggie full of homemade chex mix does not last past 9:00 am on my desk!

And since my mom and brother came in for Christmas this year, I felt the need to have homemade goodies lying around our home and definitely wanted to try out chex mix.

Here we go... the ingredients...
 I just used the recipe on the back of the chex box. 
First it says to melt the butter in a large roasting pan in the oven.  Well... I didn't feel like getting my roasting pan out of the attic, so I chose this 9x11 pan.  Bad move. Not quite big enough for all of the ingredients.  Oh well..

 In the mean time, I mixed up the spices... worchestire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt. 
 Then I measured out the dry ingredients... tip of the day- put your measuring cup in the bowl so when you spill (which I do constantly), it ends up in the bowl and not on the counter.
 Add in some garlic bagel chips, pretzel sticks, and mixed nuts.
 Butter is done!
 Mix in the seasonings... Note to self: in the future, double the amount of spices... I like my chex mix full of flavor!
 add in the dry ingredients in small batches and mix.
 Here it is all mixed up... now roast it!  for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
 Spread it out on paper towels to cool (and be sad that it doesn't have enough seasonings.)
Next time, I would seriously add more flavor, but we have been eating it and enjoying it anyways!
Always willing to suffer for good food :)

1 comment:

The Shoemake Family said...

I always double if not more the seasonings. I love the bold flavor. Oh and I like the polish. Had to laugh when you said mom hated it. I got black toenails a while back and had the thought if mom were here she'd hate it. Ha.