Tuesday, July 14, 2009

MMM MMM GOOD

About a year ago, Ty's wonderful boss invited us all over for dinner. He and his wife proceeded to make us an amazing Mexican meal. The food was delicious, the conversation was wonderful, the people were great. Or so we thought, we've never been invited over again. Hmm.

But anyways, he made this yummy corn dish- super easy, full of flavor. So when we had a small dinner party last Saturday, we decided to give it a whirl.

Begin with fresh corn. Boss man says 1 and 1/2 ears per person. We did a bit more than that because we really like this dish. Clean em up, husks off, fuzzy stuff off. clean corn.
Here's what else you'll need... pepper, season salt, garlic, butter. Although I guess you could really use whatever spices you want. Be creative.

Okay- cut a small square of foil, put down a small pat of butter (or a lot, I won't judge), place corn on top. Another small pat of butter, sprinkle with seasonings, and roll it up. Repeat with all of the sweet sweet corn. (I think corn is my favorite vegetable this summer. I really wish it had more nutritional value.)

here's my 7 ears of corn sitting in the oven. I put them on a baking sheet just in case they leaked. They did not leak. Roast em. I read a cook book that says roast 350 for 30 minutes. I just turned the oven on and hoped for the best. It worked out just fine.


While those little babies are baking away, get out your final ingredients. the real goodness. The CHEESE!! This is a Mexican dish, so it requires Mexican cheese. My grocery store always carries 4 types of Mexican cheese. The one day I go to purchase the Mexican cheese, they are out of 2 and only have these 2 left. Typical. anyways- I used these two and it was perfect! Cojita and Queso Anejo.

Now, I used a casserole dish so that I could throw it all back in the oven (or microwave) to make sure the corn dish was hot when the dinner was all ready. So, into your casserole dish grate some queso anejo. As much as you want. I did some on the big grater side and some on the more fine grater side. It really doesn't matter here, I was experimenting.

Then throw in some cojita. yum. (this came pre-grated, even better)
Now, when the corn is ready, carefully unwrapped one. Pour any of the delicious butter sauce into the cheese. Now, to keep the corn as hot as possible, I cut it off the cob into a metal bowl. But first, I ran hot water all over the metal bowl to heat it up, then I wiped it dry and cut my corn into it. Seemed to keep the corn pretty warm. I could just eat the corn like this by the way. delish.
Here's a blurry picture of me cutting the corn off the cob. By the way, do you like my cute little owl apron my hubby bought me from Anthropologie one year for an Easter gift? How sweet is he?
The heat from the corn should melt the cheeses. Just stir together and voila! You have an incredible Mexican corn dish.

And I promise there will NOT be leftovers.
Mexican Corn Dish
corn on the cob (1 and 1/2 ears per person)
butter
season salt
garlic powder
pepper
queso anejo
cojita
Clean the corn from husks and "hair." Place on a tin foil square, add a pat of butter and salt, pepper, and garlic (to taste). Roll up individual ears of corn.

Roast for 30 minutes at 350.
Grate the cheeses into a casserole dish.
Cut the corn off the cob. Add the corn and any leftover "juice" into the cheeses. Mix together. Reheat in the microwave or oven if necessary to melt the cheeses.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brandi Tooker said...

I agree - that corn was amazing when we had it! Thanks for posting the details...I am going to have to attempt it myself!! Thanks again for having us. Great to catch up.