Monday, February 21, 2011

A Valentine's Party

I really don't get into Valentine's day... that my be hard to believe based on my decorations this year... but those are due to the 4 days stuck at home during the DFW ice storm.

I lead a 6th grade girls Bible study and normally we have a Christmas party... but this year they were busy with basketball season... so we postponed it until Valentine's Day.

So the Saturday before Valentine's, I set up the house real cute and girly, I asked Mr. Sawyer to go play golf, and I had a nice party!

Including myself, I was supposed to have 11 for lunch, so I added a folding card table to the end of the dining room table.
I used the silver chargers and these cute reversible napkins from Hobby Lobby. Later I added forks and knives, but forgot to take a picture. I was planning on using white paper plates, but once I had everything set I decided those looked real tacky- so I used our real everyday plates.

I added a few jars of candy- lollipops and chocolates... I was amazed by how much of this they consumed!!
Ahh... here's the table with the silverware set.
On to the food...
I made some brownies (sugar free, don't tell anyone)... but I cooked them too thin. So I added a layer of chocolate icing.
Then I had an idea to cut hearts out of paper, lay the paper on top of the brownie and dust powdered sugar on top!
I felt like a professional!! I mean, I don't think I'll be winning Cupcake Wars anytime soon, but the girls were impressed!
I LOVED getting out all of my pink bowls and girly dishes! ha!
Pringles never looked so good in a pink and green polka dot dish!! Love my big pink "latte" bowls!! and do you see the cute flower bowl for the salsa and ranch dressing?? No, the girls did not eat a ton of the carrots and celery, but some. And when I told them the clementine's were freshly picked from Mr. Sawyer's aunt's backyard- they dug in!!
Close up of the cute veggie tray.
The Main Dish... French Bread Pizzas!
I bought french bread loaves at the grocery, sliced them in half and cut into shorter pieces. I set up 2 stations.... 2 pizza sauces, 2 dishes of (turkey) pepperoni, 2 dishes of sliced tomatoes, 2 bowls of bread, 1 bowl of cheese in the middle. Later I put out 2 baking sheets. The girls took turns making their pizza. Then we sat at the table while they baked for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (this is when the massive amounts of candy were consumed)



The drink station... water and crystal light peach tea, yum.
Dessert!! The bowls are there because I had some cookies and cream ice cream to put on top of the brownies!
A few other small "vignettes" from around the house...
The mantle did not get very decorated... just a couple of the red candles and some berries from my yard! I had intentions of making a "happy valentine's day" scrapbook banner, but I didn't.
I felt so cool using berries from my yard!!
OH and my gifts for the girls...
every year I give the girls prayer journals. This year I put this verse on the inside because we have been studying the different names of God all year.
"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe." Proverbs 18:10
Then I tied them up with some raffia... done and done. (Michael's dollar bin on sale on Thanksgiving day for 30% off )
Put them in a basket and let the girls choose! I was SHOCKED that giraffe print went first, I thought surely zebra would be the favorite (it's my favorite).
And that was my big Valentine's party!! Loved it!! The girls were so fun! At Christmas we normally do a "secret santa" gift exchange, so we went ahead and did that now too. Some girls picked the gift they brought because they liked it so much. The ONLY gift that was stolen was a Justin Bieber Ken doll- hilarious!! (they said, if I saw the movie, I'd understand.)

1 comment:

christine said...

Love all the cute decorations!! Seriously, too cute. You are an inspiration and I'm sure all the girls felt so special and loved. And maybe if you had a scrapbook room, you would have gotten that banner done. :) Hehehe.