Friday, February 4, 2011

Just Because

Just because I'm on my 4th day of being stuck inside of my house...

Just because I'm running out of things to think and do...

Just because I am tired of sitting for days on end...

Just because I'm not sure what else to share (but I'd like to feel crafty)...

here is my handy-dandy homemade play-dough recipe.
I made 2 batches at the very beginning of the school year... they lasted the whole semester! Although they have greatly reduced in size, as much of the play-dough gets left in the carpet each day. Or it gets left in the cookie cutters and hardens over night.

So on my first snow day... I made 2 batches more to finish out the year.
I like homemade playdough because:

1. There is only 1 color (natural) so they don't fight over it and they can't mix the colors and frustrate me.
2. It doesn't smell as yucky as regular play-dough
3. It is more pliable and better for the little 4 year old hands.
4. I feel cool when I say "I made my own play-dough."

Without further adieu (how do you spell that word? and, better yet, why do we say it??)

Play-Dough
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons cream of tartar (this is found in the spice aisle- it took me a LONG time to figure that out)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups water
(technically you could add some food coloring to make different colors, but not necessary)

Mix in in a pot on medium high heat. Stir (I like to stir with a wish to break up all of the flour).
It should ball up within a few minutes. (It is amazing to watch it happen)
Then just let it cool on the countertop!

Easy -Peasy.
Happy Snow Day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, did you know that on some Play-Doh anniversary, they came out with a Play-doh scented perfume??!!! I have met a few people who love that smell!

Household Executive said...

I thought about blogging this recipe as well. :) Pretty sure I will always make my own now!