Monday, February 7, 2011

Clearly I had too much time on my hands

After being iced and snowed in for FOUR days straight... I decided it was time to set my dining room table for Valentine's Day. Of course, I asked Ty first if he minded Pink and Red gracing our table... it is in the dead center of our home and can be seen from practically every room... so I wanted to be sure he didn't mind. And since he had been sitting with me for FOUR days straight and I was clearly driving him crazy... he would have agreed to anything!!!

So here is my table.... (actually this was the first version... I re-did it about 2 hours later :))
Here is the 2nd version... Main difference... instead of the doilies and hearts being scattered, I clustered them in the center of each pink napkin. Felt more "put together" to me.

closer up... So I used my red Christmas table cloth. Then I opened these lovely pink linen hemstiched napkins from Williams-Sonoma... NEVER BEEN USED! So, since time was my friend, I got out my iron and ironed them.
I then got out my new Cricut machine (Christmas gift from my mother-in-law)... and cut out lots of hearts and L O V E. First I tried taping the L O V E to the crystal candleholders. Ty lovingly let me know that was not my best idea. So I got out my paper doilies and glued them to that. Much better!
I also cut this cute I heart you.... also on a paper doily :)
another shot of the LOVE... who knows. I'd been home for a long time. You can also see all of the hearts... 3 different types of scrapbook paper. and all of my great-grandma's hand made doilies
The center napkin...

The far end...
Oh and the napkins... ha! Ty was seriously looking at me like I'd lost my mind! I set up my lap top, I googled "napkin folds," I set up an iron and a towel (so as not to ruin the wood). First I tried a heart fold, cute but not great.
Then I found this "rose fold." LOVE IT!! Yes I folded and IRONED each crease in this fold!!
They had a mini bowl in the middle of the napkin. My bowls and small plates were all too large in diameter and smashed down the "rose." So I opted for this cute flower napkin ring.
I asked Ty if it looked "too cheesy." He looked at me and said, "Really?" So I kept it just like that!

I still have my silver chargers from Michaels and white plates from Marshalls (these seem to never leave this table.)
Overall... I like it. It's fun and festive! A little "chaotic"... I like something more "simple" and peaceful for long term. But this is only for a week.
OH- and on my last tabletop post, I had someone ask "Where do you eat dinner with your cute table settings?" Um... at the coffee table, in front of the TV. Unless we have company, then I simply move the plates off the table, use our normal "everyday dishes" and replace it when the meal is over. Takes less than 5 minutes and I think it's totally worth it!
Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments: