Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Mantle

Three days in a row... a new record???

So I TOTALLY changed up my mantle this year... isn't that the theme of my decorating?
For years I have collected star ornaments. I have always imagined that a tree filled entirely of stars only would be so cool! They just make so many neat star ornaments. But, I don't have enough to do that yet. And when I do that, I really want to have 2 trees, because I really like all of my other "memory" ornaments too. So this year I created my mantle around the star ornaments...

I found these cute stars at Canton this year to put in the middle. I like them. I don't like that they get lost in the painting above them. I don't really like having that painting up during Christmas. I like the painting, but it doesn't go with my mantle and is kinda sad. But I don't know what else to do with that space- I don't have anything else large. And that painting requires a HUGE nail thing- so it would be really ugly if you could see that thing.

I used to use these red poofs on my dining room table, but we all know I've changed that up!
I have 1 on each side, and I LOVE our stockings! Just cute :)
Some of my favorite stars... turns out I hung most of my favs so they really stood out.
this one is whimsical
love this cow hide one- very "texas"
this is just so "mary englebret" (or however you spell her name)
Can't have a star collection and not have 1 with some pink on it.
I picked up this cute sign at Michael's on thanksgiving day and I love it on the side table...

I made these a few years ago from a kit I picked up at Hobby Lobby. Have never really figured out the best way to display them. The J kinda tilts to 1 side- I probably should add hangers on the back- but this works. I love adding the "scrapbooking" element to my decor :)

I've had this star basket since high school. I think it was from Pier 1. I've spray painted it different colors over the years. But I like it silver now. I just filled it with beads and a poinsettia.
The full look again... Of course there are also lights and beads- I can't seem to decorate without those at Christmas. And on the sides you can see the glittery stems of fake leaves. I've had those on the mantle for a few years and I still like what they add to it.
So that is my "star themed mantle." I wanted to get it finished in time to join The Lettered Cottage linky party... but I didn't. So oh well. Live and learn.
If you have any suggestions... feel free to throw them out there! I'm always up for changing things again next year!! Ha!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I love the stars! The mantle looks great.