Thursday, November 6, 2008

I was Running!!!

Last April, I did my first half marathon- all 13.1 miles of it!! Here are some memories... (in photo form of course)



At the beginning of the rest- still excited, not sweaty yet (but blurry)



Ty and his sweet family followed me around the race track. This was at the 3 mile mark- the first time I saw them- then they surprised me and I saw them 7-8 more times- which made the run really fun!


13.1 miles and lots of sweat later, here I am happy to be finished!! In 2 hours and 1 minute! Wahoo!



Ty and I


Now, here's the reason for the blog... I want to do another half marathon. In fact I want to do the White Rock Marathon on December 14th. Which will be extra fun because my Dad and Step-mom are supposed to be in town that weekend.


The problem is, I needed new shoes. Heres' the shoes I wore in the last half. Why not just re-purchase a new pair of those?

Maybe the next picture will show it better....

Yes, I actually wore 2 different shoes! You see, I get shin splints on my right leg- so I need a special shoe for that. But that special extra hard arch support was making my left foot hurt really bad. So I got a different shoes, but then I had the shin splints again- so I just wore one of each. It worked just fine, until I needed to replace them- and one pair of shoes is expensive enough!


So, I went to Luke's Locker- my favorite running shoe store in Dallas, they watched me run, they listened to my problems. and they said Asics created the shoe just for me!! Here are my new shoes....


What's so different you ask? Well- the following picture will explain. The top shoe is for the shin splints- the dark gray area at the bottom is extra hard for more support. The middle shoe is a normal nuetral shoe, no extra hardness at all. The bottom shoe is a mixture of the two- no extra hardness, but special ribbing on the bottom to correct the shin splints.


Here's the ribbing on the bottom... (is this more shoe info than you ever wanted or needed?)

So, I happily (not really) started my training. And after my first long run in my new shoes, I had this.... A HUGE blister on the arch of my right foot. Who has ever had a blister there? crazy!

Don't see it? Look, there it is!



On a side note, I've always thought I should be a foot model, what do you think?? (just kidding, kind of)

Ok- so a couple of days rest, a short 2 mile run on Tuesday and I thought it was better. So I did another 5 mile run last night- it was a run where I'm supposed to work on speed- so 2 of the 5 miles were at a faster pace, 8;40 and 9:00 - they were supposed to be 8:30 miles, but I cheated.


Here I am coming home, done with the run. (By the way, I like to do my long runs on the treadmill watching tv- yesterday I watched What Not to Wear and Friends)


But NO! the blister was not better!! Now it's worse!!

These pictures aren't great, but you get the picture. oh well, maybe more days of rest are in my future :)

2 comments:

Eless137 said...

Seriously?? Shoes?!? I'm going to find you a hobby. (I suppose you could argue that you already have one...)
By the way, I'm posting a special blog today, just for you. :)

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Asics are the best! I have really high arches, and I've gotten blisters in that very spot before.