Friday, August 23, 2013

Fabric Bunting

Hubby's out of town playing golf with college friends.
Baby fell asleep after only 1 minute of crying! (yay sleep training is working!)
And it's 8:54 on a Friday night, so I'm blogging.
Of course I have 1,000,304,204 photos of my boy I could post, but instead of trying to pick a small assortment of them, I thought I'd post about a craft project I did LAST year and never posted about :)  Timely.
 
My bestest friend had a sweet baby girl, last July.  As in the baby is now 1 year old.  I made this fabric bunting for her nursery before the baby was born.
 
The colors of her nursery are yellow, pink and blue. So I chose some fabrics in those colors with very slight patterns.  She already had a lot of pattern in the room and wanted this to be more subtle.  Since the fabric was pretty thin, I chose to use a white lining on the back as well.  Below are my supplies... fabric, lining, white grosgrain ribbon, pinking shears, and a triangle template I found online.  No clue where online, I made this LAST year.
 
 First I cut all of my triangles, making sure the pattern was going the appropriate direction.
 Then I IRONED the triangles!  This is a big deal because I never iron! But also it was important in an attempt to sew straight. (also something I never do.)
 Here is the basic idea that we're going for...
 I sewed the lining to each triangle then used the pinking shears to trim them up (because in some places the lining was showing along the edge.)
Then I laid out the triangles, placed the ribbon on top and pinned the triangles in place.  Then it was simply a matter of running the whole thing through the sewing machine along the ribbon.  Easy peasy.
 The finished product!  Somewhere in the archives of my phone I have a photo of the bunting in the nursery.  But it's Friday night and I'm not that motivated to find it.

I had some left over fabric, plus a bunch of fabric in similar colors from random crafts over the years, and I was inspired to make a mini bunting. (I actually like this one more and it was much easier to make).

Again, I cut out tons of triangles, using pinking shears and a template. Because the triangles were so small, they didn't really need a lining (yes, one less step!).  And because this was a mini bunting, I actually liked when the patterns went in all different directions for more interest. 
 Again, I ironed them all.

Then I stacked them by fabric.  I wanted a random order this time, so I just picked from different piles as I went.  I didn't use a fabric at all, just ran the triangles through the sewing machine.  Most of the time the triangles were touching at the corners, but if not, the thread was visible and that was just fine.
 Here's the bunting laid on the bed.
 And here it is hanging on the ironing board :)  (funny thing- this is now Caleb's nursery- my oh my how the room has changed!)  Funnier thing... I love bunting, I enjoyed making it, and I didn't make any for Caleb's room.  Is it girly?  Or am I just weird?
That truly was a fun and easy craft. I think I actually like the look of the mini bunting better than the large. It can hang on the wall or on the crib or on a window.  The options are endless. 

Ok- off to read and go to sleep. Because one thing I've learned as a mom, if the baby's sleeping, I should be too!

No comments: