Friday, May 25, 2012

Kanakuk Coffee Cake

Hubby and I met working at Kanakuk, a Christian sports kamp in Branson, MO.  We LOVE it there! (and yes they replace all "c's" with "K's" because Kanakuk starts with a K.)  Every Sunday they serve coffee cake (or maybe it's Koffee Kake) for breakfast.  And let me tell you, it's delicious!  Ask anyone who has ever been a kamper before, and they will tell you that Sunday morning coffee cake is the best!

I have had this recipe for years, I think I found it on their website a million years ago.  But I forgot about it and rarely make it.  I had my last Wednesday morning Bible study with my 7th grade girls last week and thought I'd bring this coffee cake as an end of the year treat.  Hubby was thrilled! Although he was a bit skeptical that I could make it "as good as kamp."  I assured him I could. 

The Ingredients: 
Cake:
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup melted margarine (I used butter)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Topping:  (I made a little extra, you can never have too much topping)
1/2 pound brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
1/4 stick softened margarine (I used butter)

First I let my eggs sit out just a little while to warm up to room temperature. I've read that helps with "fluffiness" I have no clue if it did anything.

Beat the eggs.  Add melted margarine, vanilla, evaporated milk, and water.

Combine the dry ingredients.  Add to the liquid mixture and beat until batter is smooth.

Here's the topping, you mix it until it's crumbly.  I guess you could use a pastry blender or a mixer. I just used my hands.  But HERE'S THE TRICK... you mix the topping DAYS BEFORE you want to bake the cake.  That was the secret in the K-Kountry kitchen... they mixed topping on Wednesday or Thursday and left it on the shelf until Sunday morning.  I have no clue why it works, but trust me, it's an important step.

Next pour the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle on the topping and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. (Mine had to bake closer to 40 minutes and was still VERY moist!)

We ate it all so fast I didn't get a picture of a slice of it! But let me tell you, it's delish!!  Oh, and yes, Hubby agreed that it tastes EXACTLY like kamps!  Success!

No comments: