Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break

Most people go to Florida to see the beaches... we went to see this guy...
Well, and the beach, but how can you pass up that adorable face??
So some of our dearest friends live in Clearwater. We went to visit them last year, and had such a blast that we went back for round 2!!

Day 1... we went to Tarpon Springs... sponge capital of the world!!






I think those things are weird!! They feel weird too! I mean, why would you shower with something that came out of the ocean? How clean can it be? I'm all for decorating with it, but not actually using it. I don't know, just seems weird to me.

Also, Tarpon Springs is home to a large Greek community and let me just say, the food is A-MA-ZING!! We went back again 2 days later, same restaurant, same lunch. We are suckers for good food :)

After our Greek food and sponge expedition, we arrived back at our friend's house to find this yummy bouquet from my mom!! YUM-O! It is HUGE, but it barely made it through the night- we all LOVE fruit! Especially chocolate covered fruit!!


Day 2... Ty and I hit the beach... and ate lunch at our favorite lunch spot from last year, Frenchy's. They have amazing grouper sandwiches. Also, we discovered their chili cheese frieds last year. But Ty was playing golf after this meal and wisely decided chili cheese fries may not be the best idea. So grouper sandwiches it was!

Day 3... was actually my 30th birthday!!

We went BACK to that Greek spot, and had this delicious Greek salad and gyros. In Clearwater, they all put potato salad on the bottom of their Greek Salad. Fattening? yes. Delicious? yes. Worth it? absolutely!



I finished this meal with a piece of rocky road fudge from the fudge factory across the street!

Then Ty and I headed to the golf course to watch the PGA Transitions Tournament. Ty is a HUGE golf fan and over the years, I have seen my fair share of golf on TV with him. I really have grown fond of watching it and I really enjoy the tournaments. I mean, being outside, in a beautiful well manicured place... with snacks every where you turn?? what could be better? And now that i can recognize some of the golfers, I love it. my favorite part is watching the interaction between the golfer and caddy- what a special relationship that must be. One golfer had his wife as the caddy- what was weird is that she carries the HUGE bag. And as I thought about it, I thought "they must have a GREAT marriage for him to allow her to be a place to make suggestions at his place of WORK." Not a position I'd want to be in. Not that Ty and I don't have a great marriage, just no need to add that much tension!!
We ate dinner at our friend's place... I wanted a picture of myself on my 30th birthday, so I had the 2 oldest boys take our picture. I told them it was a competition to see who was the better photographer...

Grant (4th grade) took this pic.
Cal (6th grade) took this pic.
I told them I liked them both (and bonus- I get TWO pictures of me on my birthday!!)
Dont I LOOK 30??

YUM!! Birthday Dinner (sorry for the sideways pic)- we had taco "stuff" to place in a bowl "chipotle style." Chicken, beef, fajita steak, cheese, lettuce, homemade salsa, chips... I'm getting hungry!!
wil...love him.
Cookie Cake dessert!! (from Sam's, and let me say- amazing!)
This was a nightly activity for Ty and Wil... lots of puzzles!! That is 1 smart 3-year old!!
Ty's birthday!! day 4... we spent the morning at the boys' basketball games. Then lunch at their house... followed by LOTS of March Madness watching... then late afternoon we hit the beach.

Grant made a podium to stand on.
Landry (2nd grade) and Cal made a ramp and tunnel for a ball to roll through.
Wil just ran around ... a LOT.


Kelley and Ty on HIS Birthday!

Dear Dear Friends!! The whole gang!
Chris is a pastor at a church down there... (and he married us 3 1/2 years ago)
So Sunday morning, we went to church and then hit the road!
But this guy had a surprise for us first!! We had the honor of watching him be baptised!! Man, did I cry! I love that moment! so sweet, so special, so sincere!!
We returned home Sunday night and THIS was waiting for me!! Birthday week just keeps going!!
I'm back in school now (sad). But Ty has a big 30th birthday party planned for me this weekend! yay!!

Fun spring break... wish I was still there!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!!! A few days late. I LOVE birthdays and think turning 30 sounds super fun, too. I love your attitude about it. Ok, that fruit bouquet looked AMAZING!!! And what a great family to spend time with! And those flowers from your class--gorgeous!!!