Sunday, September 12, 2010

Being Prepared

Last Thursday I was sitting on my couch working on my lesson plans when suddenly, I heard the tornado sirens. I ignored them at first, because that's what I normally do because it's normally a test. After a few minutes, I realized, this is not the usual time for a test, maybe I should check it out.

So what did I do??? I looked out the windows... each window in the house. I couldn't see a tornado, so I decided I was safe.

Then I decided it would be wise to turn on the TV. And sure enough, there was a tornado! Not close to me, but in Dallas. And it was on the move. They were saying it was heading North East- which technically could be towards me- depending on the HOW north and HOW east it went.

So I decided to get prepared.

First things first, I needed a bra. Because, let's face it, if I'm home alone and sitting on my couch, I'm not wearing one. TMI? Sorry. Well, I put one on.

Then I decided to put on socks and tennis shoes.

I paused after that and started thinking, "If the house blows away and I lose everything, what's the one thing I want?" I immediately thought of my wedding rings (yes I take them off when I get home- I don't like to cook, clean, or work out in them). So I put those on.

I started thinking "what if the roof blows off? I will get soaked." So, of course, I grabbed my rain jacket and placed it on the couch next to me so I could easily grab it.

Finally, I ran into the kitchen and made a bowl of cereal. It was, in fact, dinner time. And lunch was many many hours ago. And, again, if the roof blew off, who knows when I'll get food.

So- with my bra, socks, shoes, rings, rain jacket, and cereal- I finally felt ready. As I ate my cereal I watched the news and waited.

Turns out it was never coming near me. When I was for sure that I was totally safe, I quit watching the news and turned on the Bachelor Pad on my DVR.

3 comments:

Joann said...

HAHAHAHA! I am so glad you are back to blogging I missed not getting to read your stories. Gotta keep those priorities straight when there is a tornado coming....lolololol....Luv you girl!

Unknown said...

That sounded like your own personal, "If you give a moose a muffin" story. =)

Michelle said...

Hey Kelly,
Thanks for having all of our boys over for dinner this weekend! Joe said he loved the avocados on the hamburgers, so I'm sure that will become a new thing around here! They all had a blast.
~Michelle Manthe