Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Very Exciting TWO Hours

Tomorrow is GrandPal's Day at our school. What does that mean?? well, we do a little Thanksgiving Program and invite everyone's grandparents to watch. but, not everyone has grandparents, so we call it GrandPALS so you can just invite an elderly friend and be happy about life.

Anyways- we spend ALL week practicing. Literally, ALL week. There is not much teaching or learning that goes on this week. Oh, parents of my students... ignore that last statement. This was a VERY valuable week to your child's academic career!

Moving on... Tuesday we had the MOST exciting 2 hour rehearsal EVER! did I mention that my kindergartners sing 2 songs and say 4 pledges and sing 4 songs to the flags and they're done. Yes, their part last about 15 minutes. They got to practice twice. And we were sitting there for 2 hours.

Sounds like it should be a boring 2 hours. But it was not...

On Tuesday, during the 1st song... a 1st grade boy locked his knees and starting fainting. The choir director rushed to get him, picked him up, handed him off to the only man in the room (PE teacher), and they laid him down and took care of him. He was fine and back on stage in about 20 minutes.

BUT, his almost fainting caused one of MY students to be SO frightened that she literally cried for the next 4 hours. She was afraid that she was going to faint! (remember there are 150 OTHER kids who did NOT faint and the "fainter" is back on stage singing, but nope, she was still scared!!)

AND, at the same time, my new student, who has been here for about 2 weeks, she started crying because she doesn't know all of the words to the songs and doesn't want to be in the program. That one was easy to solve, "OK, you don't have to be. But you have to watch and clap and smile."

AND, moments later, my co-kindergarten teacher looks at me and says, "I think I'm going to be sick." I answered, "OK, I'll watch the kids, go to the bathroom." To which she responded, "No, I have to call the secretary and get a sub, I've got to go home."

So she left. and then proceeded to text me every time she threw up... in the school bathroom, twice, at every stop light on the way home, on her pants... etc.

And there I was... left in a rehearsal with 2 criers, 1 almost fainter, and a missing sick teacher.

Happy Tuesday to me. Hoping the actual performance tomorrow goes much better.

2 comments:

Joann said...

You are a trooper Kelley! Luv you girl!

christine said...

That is SO FUNNY!!! I bet you are just amazing with those crazy kids. :)

Are you by any chance running next weekend?